Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Sunday, August 26, 2018

First Week of School

 Thought I would revive the old blog tonight. The boys started another school year this week. It was a glorious week for all involved. I never wanted to be the mom that was so happy for her kids to get out of the house and be back in school...but I was definitely that mom this year. We had a fantastic summer but the kids were getting restless which meant lots of bickering and pestering. And my boys LOVE school- so it's a win for everyone.
Matthew is in 3rd grade and his teacher is Mrs. Nielsen. On the first day when I asked him how he liked his teacher he said, "She's crazy, and loud, and really energetic!" Very different from calm and peaceful Mrs. Stirling last year. But it's good to have both in your life. Matthew was really frustrated one day because his class had almost lost casual Friday due to talking. I'm sure Matthew is sometimes part of the problem, but it is really frustrating for him when his peers don't follow the rules or expectations set. Those are the times when I feel bad he is old in his grade. He's always been drawn to kids older than him, but he's stuck with a bunch of younger kids at school all day. But those are the kind of things that build character and patience. I'm excited to see what this year has in store for him. Matthew also started football this week. Back to busy, and we're just getting warmed up. But it has been fun to watch him find a sport he is enjoying.
Koyle is in 1st grade with Ms. Baker. It was his first week of full day school and I wasn't sure how he would handle being gone from home that much. But this kid was crazy excited for school and did just fine. He is LOVING that he gets to go to all the specials now. Every day he came right in the house and sat down at the table and started his homework. I think it made him feel all grown up and important. If only that would last.
Landon thoroughly enjoyed all of mom's attention this week. With the big boys gone at school life was peaceful and slow paced. And during Lincoln's nap every day it was just the two of us. Landon is so pleasant and fun to spend time with one on one. He will chat your ear off and is full of the funniest stories and random/made up facts. This week he asked Justin out of the blue: "Do you know how to make mints?" Justin: "No, how?" Landon: "You suffocate fish!" That is life with Landon! We did art projects, worked in the garden and played games together. I was feeling a little nervous about him being ready for school next year since he will be my first kid to go at age 5 instead of 6; but this week showed me that we will have plenty of time together and lots of growth can happen. He starts preschool in another week and is sometimes excited, sometimes not. We signed him up for soccer this year and he was adamant that he was NOT going to play. Finally Justin told him that he pays money to kids that make goals (bribery at its finest folks). Now he is super excited for soccer and has been practicing in the backyard with his dad all week.

Landon also got to have lots of play dates this week. He loves playing with friends, especially when his brothers are gone. He is going to miss Espyn this year since she is starting Kindergarten. But we will still find times for them to get together.

Lincoln has blossomed into a bubbly toddler full of personality. His clingy whiny moments are now the exception, not the rule. This is absolutely my favorite stage and I just can't kiss and hug him enough because he fills my heart up with so much love a million times a day. Everything he does is so cute and innocent. I brought the train tracks upstairs this week and he has been playing trains non stop. I think I have had just as much fun as him rekindling our love for trains at the Jones house.

Justin started applying to jobs this week. Crazy! But it is exciting and life is going to start picking up speed again in the coming months as things start happening and decisions are being made. He loves his work and does well at it too. It was his last clinic week before he starts OB and we ate up all our time with him. Life is magical when daddy is around and it gives me hope for what our life might look like consistently in one more year.
Carissa felt like a new woman this week. The best way to describe it is that I had space in my life. Brain space, heart space, physical space, time space. It's amazing what can happen in 5 short days when you are not surrounded by constant yelling, loud laughing, fighting, crying, nagging....It has been a few years since I've only had 2 kids at home during the day. My wheels were already turning about what I might do with all that extra space in my life this school year. I have a few things up my sleeve. : )


1 comment:

Troy said...

It's so exciting that Justin is applying for jobs. I know the Jones family is anxiously waiting to hear where you guys will end up. It's time to put down some roots, girl! And I'm so excited for you! I pray every night that you will find a beautiful lake house that I can visit. jk :)
-Sarah