I figured I couldn't post about Koyle's birthday before remembering Matthew's birthday. This year was especially fun because we got to celebrate in Idaho with our family. Matthew made little birthday invitations and passed them out to his grandparents and cousins and we made preparations for his Lego Party. Thanks to Grandma for suggesting that we have a theme and games...I had to actually throw him a 'real' party and not just invite people over for cake and ice cream. Matthew had a blast thinking of the games himself and helping to prepare them. The first game was who could get all the legos out of their bowl using chopsticks the fastest.


Grandpa Russ surprised us by beating out Japanese Grandpa Jay. Then we put everyone in partnerships and gave them a pile of legos and they had 5 minutes to build something. Matthew was the judge and he got to decided who built the coolest things. I was super impressed at what everyone built-way more talented than me. But I know my Matthew boy's heart and he choose my lame castle to win!! (I knew that the thing he always wants to build with legos is castles...cause that's all I am good at building so I convinced him that they are awesome!) My mom made these cute paper milk cartons and we put lego candies inside to give to all the winners.
All summer Matthew knew exactly what he wanted his cake to be. He wanted it to be his school, since he got to start school this year. I fully supported this idea because it was hands down the easiest cake ever to decorate. He happens to have a brown, rectangle shaped school. I did try to put a little effort into it still.
Matthew shares his birthday with Chandler and I have been trying to think of a tradition we could incorporate to always remember and celebrate him. Matthew came up with the idea of drawing Chandler a picture. The boys both did such a good job and were really thoughtful. Matthew did a portrait of Chandler looking off a picture of him, and Koyle drew his family fishing (big surprise).
The guests
These pictures are so reminiscent of my childhood. Opening presents in front of that fireplace with Jon and Kristy sitting in the background
Happy Birthday Matthew Boy. You are getting too big for your britches. 6 is going to be a big year for you, I can feel it. I love that you are still my buddy and still snuggle with me, even though you are getting so big and grown up.
1 comment:
I was so excited that we got to be part of his birthday this year! I know it won't happen often.
Post a Comment