"The point is that an intact nuclear family is far more likely to have a livable income and produce happier, healthier, and more successful children. Given that somewhat obvious fact, it would make a lot more sense for the government to focus on things that would encourage and empower a comeback of the family unit rather than things that simply deal with the symptoms of our current disease."
"But that's not the case," he continues, "In fact, our government has been all too eager to encourage the continued deterioration of the family structure by assuming more and more responsibilities that should be dealt with at home" (Conform, p. 135).
This took me back to my college days. I took a class from one of my favorite professors titled Family Social Policy and Law. It was a fascinating class and we learned and analyzed all the different policies and laws regarding family and how they affect families and where they originated, etc. I hadn't connected these two things on my own quite yet. In some ways I recognized it as I felt myself asking more and more often, "where do the parent's rights come in? Where is the right for the parent to decide for his/her child?" But I hadn't taken that step back to see the big picture. All these stupid policies they are passing about every ridiculous facet of our children's lives 'at school' are just another extension of their power. Their desire to gain complete control and squash out the parent. If the government becomes the presiding voice in families, then they get to shape and mold our children in the way they want to. Don't brush this off as crazy Carissa talk. Or crazy Glen Beck talk. Start being aware of policies the government is passing, particularly ones that affect children, and look at it through a family social policy and law scope. How does this affect the stability and rights of family?
This year is the 20th anniversary of The Family: A Proclamation to the World. Let us remember these words taken from the Proclamation:
- The family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.
- Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.
- THE FAMILY is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity.
- Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities.
- Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.
- WE CALL UPON responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.
We are those responsible citizens they are calling upon. It's not just a silly law about portion sizes of school lunch. It's about protecting the family.
2 comments:
I am so sad that you wrote this on June 1st and no comments arrived until today when your crazy talk Mom logs in to say AMEN SISTA!
You are so correct, and we must take notice. If you study recent conference talks with our civic responsibilities in mind you will see that we are being asked, even commanded to make our voices heard. We must wake up. Now is a great time to start the discussion and make a difference. I wish more people your age cared. Perhaps you were saved for a time such as this? Name that story? Yes, it is of a Biblical WOMAN, who took a stand and changed the fate of her people.
In May I worked on memorizing The Family: A Proclamation to the World. I was amazed with the powerful truths taught that I had never noticed before. That came out the year after I was born. I think they knew what we would have to be facing as adults and they wanted to make sure we had the truth available to us from the time we were born so that when we could be those "responsible citizens and officers of government" we are able to "promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."
Post a Comment