Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Sunday, October 19, 2014

A Big Birthday Surprise

This year my mom turned 50! For years we have talked about throwing a party for my mom when she turned 50, but as it approached I told my sisters not to because then I would want to come. Of course they didn't listen to me and they started planning a party. And of course I couldn't miss it. So Justin and I pulled some strings and bought me a plane ticket home for the party...but we kept it a secret. Neither my mom or my dad knew I was coming. After lots of planning and little white lies it was finally time for the trip. (My dad had called multiple times wanting to fly me up for the party and we just kept telling him it wouldn't work.) Justin stayed home with the older boys and Landon and I headed out Thursday afternoon. I called my dad from the airport in Denver and nonchalantly asked him if he was available to pick me up from the airport in a couple hours when I arrived in Boise. He was SO EXCITED- it was a perfect moment. He picked me up from the airport and we made our way home. Mom was in the laundry room folding some clothes when we walked in and I just said, "Hey mom!" She turned and looked at me with a blank stare for a few seconds while it processed that I was really standing there. Then she was like, "What? Why are you here? What?" It was also a great moment. My surprise was a success. It kept getting better though. We were keeping the party a surprise for my mom but we were certain that as soon as I showed up she would know that we were doing something. We have never surprised my mom with anything-she always guesses every gift and knows us way too well. But as the evening progressed it became apparent to me that she had no idea anything was going on; I quickly sent a message to the other sisters not to spill the beans. She really thought I had just come to visit her for her birthday. The next few hours were fun and full of more surprises as things played out. Mandi and Ryan didn't get there until late Thursday night (like 1:30 in the morning) because they found head lice on the girls right before leaving. But my mom knew she was coming. Jacque left earlier than we thought and so did Lindy so they both got there Friday morning. Another fun surprise-my mom didn't know they were coming either. THEN, Missy came over and my mom was so thrilled to see her. We finally told her Friday morning that we were throwing her a party because we needed to start getting ready. That day was spent shopping, baking, and decorating. We pulled everything together just as the guests started arriving. It was a really nice evening complete with two more surprises. A good friend came in from out of town for the party, AND my dad surprised my mom with a skydiving trip!! She is very excited. Time for pictures!



 Okay-let me tell you two things about this picture. First, the balloons are a pinterest fail. You've seen them before: Just wrap some tulle around a balloon to create a softer look. WRONG. The balloons won't float anymore if you put the tulle on them and it's just a photographic trick in the pictures. So we kept these ones covered and strung them together and hung them up, but the rest of our balloons had to be just plain silver. It was my one job, and it failed.The other is the note cards hanging up. We had people bring a memory of my mom and we hung them all up; it was really fun to read through them all.
 The jars have candles that looked neat at night but I didn't get a picture of them when it was dark.
 Both sets of grandparents loved the chance to spend a little time with Landon. Landon loved all the attention too.
 This was as my dad was thanking everyone for coming and getting ready to give her his gift.
 The Monks
 Priens
 Hansens
 I love this picture! They are both so happy and it totally captures the feeling of the whole night.
 I love pictures of Grandma.
 Stephanie, Grandpa, and Jordan Koyle
 Lucy (the friend who came from out of town)


 Mandi's cake turned out awesome!


 I have been saying for a while that I think Landon would love to swing. So I took the opportunity to try it out at my parents house and I was right. He LOVED the swing.

 I love spending time with my nieces and I wished the older boys could have come to play with their cousins.
Girls picture! It was so awesome spending a weekend with my family. I don't think words can really capture what such moments do for my spirit. It came and went way too fast but I wouldn't trade those moments for anything. Happy Birthday mom! I'm not sure if my surprise trip was more of a present for you, or for me, but either way it was the best!

3 comments:

Sarah Jones said...

Skydiving???!! Did I read that right?! Your mom is so cool! Happy birthday to her! And good job on the party, it looks like you made her feel extra special and that is what it is all about :)

SH said...

Love the pictures, especially of all the girls. Looks like everything went really well. What a fun weekend. Now I want to go hang out with my family.

I can totally see Koyle in Landon in all of these pictures. I think it's the cheeks?!?

Anonymous said...

Well, it was an epic SURPRISE! I loved the whole thing, and I did think the surprise was that everyone was coming home. Anyways I must say the party was awesome. We Koyle's love a good party! It was hands down the best birthday I ever had. Perhaps, I should be surprised more.
I need a copy of all of us on the couch. Love my kiddos and my hubby for making this dreadful birthday so happy!