In Preschool we memorize a poem each month and I make a little poster with the poem on it. For various reasons I was a loser preschool teacher and I didn't have the poem poster done for the first day of February, so we just looked at the book it was in and the nice illustration it had. In that book is a train poem that Matthew has become fond of. He was really distraught that we didn't have a poem poster and so after preschool that day kept insisting that we make a poster for the train poem. A train post he calls it...Matthew has always loved making his own abbreviations and shortened version of words. So I got Koyle down for his nap and started working on the train poster with Matthew. I figured like most things he would pay attention for a few minutes and then lose interest and move on. Nope. He was so into the entire time. It took us almost 2 hours and he stayed engaged. He helped me type the poem (he liked to do the t's because t is for train), and then we searched google images for just the right train picture. He even sat there while I changed the format and color of each image to create the perfect thing we wanted. Then we printed them off and he colored the trains while I started coloring the words. But he decided he wanted to do the words. He sat and traced the entire page!


I was extremely impressed at this point. Then I drew lines for him to follow and he started cutting out the train pieces. He needed a little help with this part but he did it on his own for a while. Then he put glue on the back of each strip of paper as we stuck them on the poster board.

And finally we hung it on the wall. This is a treasure that I just might keep forever.

Since it is hard to read, and I know you are dying to know what awesome poem inspired this diligence, here is the poem:
A Modern Dragon
A train is a dragon that roars through the dark.
He wriggles his tail as he sends up a spark.
He pierces the night with his one yellow eyes,
And all the earth trembles when he rushes by.
And speaking of awesomeness, Matthew is doing so well in preschool. He is one smart cookie. He picks up on things really quickly and remembers what we have talked about. He also behaves really well, although we have our emotional breakdown moments when it is time to stop playing at recess. I knew he would do fine because I have worked with him a lot but it is always fun to watch your child learn and grow and excel. All parents who don't teach their children at home are missing these precious opportunities...and I feel blessed that they are sharing them with me.
I just love this boy!
3 comments:
Wow! Great job, Matthew!
So jealous that you are able to not only have him in a preschool class but that you're able to do it yourself!
You are such an amazing mom, Carissa! Matthew is so grown up! I can't wait until we all live close again (I took Wymount for granted).
Matthew is an impressive little boy!
Post a Comment