Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Projects

I have been doing a few things lately:
Thankful Tree

I threw this together on Saturday and it turned out not too bad. Each day we all write what we are thankful for on a leaf and we stick it on the tree. I was going to make a leaf for each of us for each day but then I realized that I would have to cut out around 90 leaves...so we all write our things on the same leaf. I'm excited to watch our tree "blossom" as the month progresses. And of course it always a good exercise to take a moment each day to ponder on what you are thankful for
Supplies: Scraps of cardstock  Total Cost: FREE
Pantry Shelves

A while ago we got this pallet from behind our house and it has been sitting in the garage waiting for a project. I have been trying so hard to be grateful for the pantry I have here, but it has been hard coming from the huge walk in pantry I had at Wymount. So I decided to make some shelves to help clear up some of my pantry space. Once I decided it still took a while to get it sanded and sawed. Friday I finally finished sanding and painted it. Crazy how a little wood stain can totally make a crappy piece of old pallet wood actually look kind of nice.
Supplies: Wood Pallet, Wood Stain I got from the Share Fair    Total Cost: FREE


Art Board

Matthew is always bringing pictures home from nursery, or story time, or just coloring pictures and making things at home. Like most kids he wants to keep these things around and treasure them. I also wanted to keep them around but was getting sick of floating papers all over the floor or sitting on my counters. So I painted an extra board we had from our headboard project, painted some clothespins, hot glued them on, and voila! a great place to hang up my sweet children's' creations.
Supplies: Old Board, paint, clothespins    Total Cost: $1
Kitchen Chairs

 We have been on the lookout for some new kitchen chairs for a while. We currently have cheap metal folding chairs from Wal*Mart. Yesterday as we were headed off to the park we saw some chairs at our neighbors garage sale. I bargained them down to $5 for all 3. It would have been nice to get 4 but I figure Koyle will be in his high chair for a while still so this will do for now. Now Justin just needs to tighten the joints up, I need to sand them, and then we can paint. Any bets on how long it will take me to sand those by hand? I have one piece of one chair done so far!
Supplies: Chairs, sandpaper, paint    Total Cost: $5 for now, until I decide what to paint them and until I need more sandpaper

5 comments:

Sarah said...

You are quite the thrifty crafter! I bow down to you :) Seriously some cute stuff! My neighbor has one of those art boards in her kitchen and she put "Masterpieces" above it in vinyl - I thought that was kind of a cute idea. Happy crafting!

J&K Gallacher said...

You never cease to amaze me! And inspire me!

Myranda said...

Happy sanding! haha I'm tellin ya, you will hate yourself by the end. :) I did ONE rocking chair and vowed never again. lol

Kevin and Kimi said...

Wow! Why don't I live next to you anymore? You're awesome, Carissa!

Tiffany said...

Great job! Sometimes I miss dumpster diving in our apt complex, only because you find some great, free treasures. I should totally copy your art hanger dealie. So cute!