Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

BORAX

Borax is my new best friend. I bought some this summer to make homemade floam (which turned out AWESOME). Well, we have a little bug problem, a.k.a. cocroaches and ants, but never fear...Borax is here! I heard about some homemade ant and roach killer and I thought I would try it out. Why not? I had a box of Borax laying around just waiting to get used. I just mixed Borax and Sugar together and sprinkled it around in some key locations. It worked awesome! It got rid of my ant problem in 2 days! I haven't seen ants in my house since. It kills the cockroaches that find it (because I have watched them die) but since I didn't sprinkle it thoroughly around and throughout my house I am still having a bit of a cockroach problem. This afternoon while trying to put the boys to sleep I found a cockroach crawling across their bedroom floor! EEK!! If you know me, you know that such a find was the last straw for me. Tonight the boys and I made a little trip to Lowe's a bought a very large bottle of Ortho Home Defense Max, and I plan on using a LOT of it ALL OVER. I do not tolerate bugs in the house and definitely not in the bedroom. I should have exercised some self control and just spread more of my borax mixture around, but my phobia got the best of me...and I really needed a trip out of the house. But I digress.
 I also made some homemade laundry soap. So far it seems to be working great and it couldn't have been easier. I 9x the recipe and it still only took me about 20 minutes and didn't hardly cost a thing. Mine was a little more money because I added Oxi Clean to it, but I like using Oxi Clean (I buy it anyways) and since I was saving so much money on my laundry soap I had no guilt buying some to add in. Now everything is all together in one scoop. Fantastic!
  I have also been up to a few other things. I found a solution of what to do with all of Justin's hats:
I have also been working on some FHE lessons that I am quite excited about. They are taken from the Ensign. If anyone is curious I will post more but it has been a very long day and I just don't feel like going into detail at the moment.
I also made a cleaning schedule for myself that has been working great lately. I tend to get overwhelmed with the monotony of having to clean my house every day. (With 2 small kids, it gets dirty EVERY DAY). So this helps me conceptualize what I need to get done and feel good about the things I have done without worrying about what I have not. I have a Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Occasional checklist. I have mastered my daily list: dishes, sweep, my bedroom, pick up toys; it has helped tremendously. I don't feel like I have to do everything and so I actually do something, and my house stays liveably clean. I am still working on fitting in the other things but they are slowly finding their way into my schedule. I love checking things off my list!
And now it is time for some well earned ice cream. If only I had a checklist for motherhood......

5 comments:

Kim said...

That was almost too much productivity for one post... all your talking about hard work wore me out! I earned an ice cream too I think.


Becca said...

You and me. Same person... different states! Here is why:

I HATE bugs
I just posted on my blog about projects
I made a cleaning schedule
I have an FHE binder
I love checking things off

Ok so we have a few things in common. But I still thought it was funny that after I posted on my blog I went and read yours and it was pretty similar.

Please share your FHE stuff. Hope you have a good day :

Sarah said...

I make homemade laudndry soap too! So much cheaper!! Good idea mixing oxi clean with it. I wonder if it would work with my liquid recipe...

J&K Gallacher said...

ummm...some day I hope to be half as productive/creative/money-saving/awesome as you! I hate bugs too! Especially Texas cockroaches. I hope you can get rid of them. Make sure you flush them. I was told once that the live ones will eat the dead ones so don't keep them in your garbage. :)

Kimi Sheffer said...

Okay so I need to call you and find out what you used for cockroaches. We find them in our kitchen after 10pm at night randomly. I have killed 4 in the last 2 months. Yuck! And I am constantly sanitizing my kitchen because it grosses me out so much. The stuff Kevin's parents had didn't seem to do anything at all.