Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Before & After

We kept ourselves busy this Labor Day Weekend. Justin took his first Med School test on Friday, which means we all survived our first hard week! He said the test was quite hard and he will need to study a little more between now and the next test. He hasn't gotten his official score back, but he did fine on it. Friday after the test was the Boise State game and we had our friends over to watch that, as well as the BYU game which had been the night before.  Saturday morning Justin took Matthew golfing with him and his buddies. Koyle took a super long nap which meant I got to tackle an item on my To Do list: windowsills. The windowsills have been haunting me for a long time now. I knew it was going to be a huge undertaking and hadn't mustered up the gusto to dig in. I seriously wish I had Before & After pictures for you but my camera battery is dead and I can't find the charger. The amount of dust and dirt in the windowsills was gross. I had to get out the vacuum and suck up the dirt because it was too thick to wipe up with a rag. We are talking 1-2 in. of dust in the bottom of the windowsill; and you can imagine what the rest of it looked like. Anyways, it took me an entire hour to clean 2 windows!! And then Koyle woke up and I haven't had the chance to finish the other 2 windows. This is probably the only time I will be glad I only have 4 windows in the house. But now they are sparkly clean and I don't have to be scared to open the windows for fear of what I might find.  Sunday afternoon we spent some time out on the back patio, which led to this.....
Matthew is taking a shower, and washing his hair. I had not been able to get Koyle to play in the pool for more than a minute all week long. Take off his clothes and he played in the pool forever!

Justin sprayed our house with ORTHO Home Defense Max ( I totally recommend this stuff) on Saturday evening. Sunday morning when we went out to get in the car, there were SEVEN dead cockroaches. We found one out on the back patio. Monday morning there were 6 dead roaches on the patio, and only 1 in the garage. Today...no dead cockroaches found! At least we know the stuff is working.
Monday morning started without a plan but quickly turned into a day of projects. I have been wanting to paint the table for a while and so we decided to just go for it. Here is the before:
This was my mom's old craft table she gave us when we got married. The top was all scratched and had cut marks in it, and was pretty beat up-especially after the move.

 and the After:
I think it turned out really great. Not only does it just look nicer, it also adds some much needed color to the dining room.
Justin had found some old wood in the dumpster monday morning. I grabbed a couple of cupboard looking pieces that were in okay shape and stuck them in the garage so I had them if I ever thought of something to do with them. I have been mourning the loss of some old doors that I found in the dumpster and REALLY wanted to make a corner bookshelf out of. But somebody else got to them before we did-bummer! (Yes, my mother has officially dubbed me a dumpster diver.) Anyways, there was all this wood in the dumpster and I just couldn't let it go to waste and I was in create mode. So we decided to make ourselves a head board. It turned out really awesome. We just used the extra paint from the table, and various items from the toolbox to hold it together and hang it to the wall. It adds such a nice touch to our bedroom!

It was so nice to spend some good time together with Justin and to actually DO something! It was so refreshing to get dirty.  And one last before and after. We have had a few flies in the house for the past week or two. Kind of annoying, but whatever. There started to be quite a few though and on Sunday Justin counted 7 flies in the house. During our projects on Monday, the door got left open a lot and that night when we finally sat down on the couch, we counted 20 flies on the ceiling! GROSS! But today, after buying a fly swatter and having a little fly killing party, I think we are back to just one or two flies left. 

2 comments:

Kimi Sheffer said...

So much fun! I'm glad to hear the cockroach stuff worked. I need to try it. And I need to clean out my window sills too. It sounds like we have a lot of the same things going on about now. The table and headboard look great! Good work Miss Crafty!

Anonymous said...

I would highly recommend Brent Lambson for the window cleaning. He does a great job. The trip charge might be a little high. But I bet he'd work for a fun weekend with you guys.