Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Early Birds

Why did I get the lucky privilege of having early bird children? I do the same thing as others when it comes to bedtime and sleep, but my children always seem to think that the wee morning hours are the best time to wake up. Why couldn't I have gotten my sisters kids who sleep in and she often has to wake them up in the morning? Perhaps it is because I can handle it. I learned in high school and college how to function on very little sleep. These skills came in quite handy when Matthew was little. And I have always been more a morning person than a night person myself, so it is not so much that I mind waking up early. It does feel good to get up and get the day started. You can accomplish a lot of extra things just by waking up early. Here is my problem with it all. When your 5 month old wakes up at 5 a.m., or your 2 year old decides that 6 a.m. is the best time get up, it makes for VERY LONG days. I run out of things to do with the kiddos by the afternoon because we have already been hanging out for 10 hours. I can only take so much baby talk and trains before it is time for a break. And being home most evenings by myself means we are usually very bored by the time daddy comes home. Really, what am I supposed to do for 15 hours a day with two small children?
And you might be thinking, just put your kids to bed later so they don't wake up as early. But remember that part about a) being ready for a break and b) they are tired because they have been up since o' dark thirty. So I don't really think that is a good solution.
I'm not really looking for a solution, just sharing some thoughts as I embark upon another lovely day that started very early : ) I hope you enjoy your day too.

5 comments:

Mary Ludwig said...

I have a book called "Toddler Busy Book" that you can borrow for a little while to get more ideas of stuff to do. Also spring is coming! Hopefully soon you would be able to just sit outside while your kids just run around (or sit/crawl around) for a few hours while you can hopefully get some adult conversation in. I feel for you. Also, you are welcome to come play at our house in the mornings. Lily is gone- so it's just Quinn here. At least they will have new toys to look at. That always helps. :) We would love to have you! Just give me a call and we can plan a weekly visit or something.

Anonymous said...

You could try sleeping pills . . . I'm just saying :)

LBlackwelder said...

Ethan used to wake that early. It kept getting later as he got older and now it's a reasonable 6:45- 7:00am wake time. You can always hope your boys grow out of it too =) I hope for your sake that for now they are good nappers.

Whitney and Greg said...

I like the sleeping pill idea. ;)

Kimi Sheffer said...

I think mothers are doomed to get little sleep. I'm not sure which way is better... Having a kid that wakes up early or one who won't go to bed until late. Michael hasn't been going to bed until 10 or 11 at the earliest and I have to get up early, so I don't get much sleep. Then he wakes up around 8:30, hangs out for an hour, and goes back to sleep for another hour or 1 1/2.