Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Busy as a Bee and Loving It!

Things around here are starting to move faster and faster. Justin is taking his last final this afternoon and then it's officially summer break for us! Justin won't really be getting much of a break, but it is always nice to have a break from homework and tests. Justin starts work again at the MTC (missionary training center) next week and he will also start training for triathlons again. He is the club vice president for the next school year so he is getting more involved which he has already been enjoying. It also means he will be doing more triathlons this summer than he originally planned but since he didn't get to race Nationals we are excited that he will get to do some local races. And of course he will still be studying his brains off for the MCAT which he takes the end of May.
As for me I am taking advantage of feeling good again but still missing my energy since there is so much I want to do these days but I can't ever quite manage to get it all done. At the mundane level I now cook dinner regularly and keep my house clean...most of the time. Preschool has been done for a couple weeks now and so I have been using my extra time to work on a few projects. A good friend from college just had a baby this week and we wanted to make a baby blanket for her. So we got together one afternoon and bought the material and tied it together; all I had to do was sew the edges closed. Easy, right? NOT. Turns out I have no idea how to finish a quilt. After finally getting some guidance and a few tries of doing it wrong, I was headed in the right direction. I was doing a lot of sewing by hand and only being able to work on it during nap time meant my progress was slow. But my good friend Julie came over to visit the other day and so we sat and finished sewing it together (and she saved my bacon by sewing the corners which I had no idea what to do with). Now I can officially say that I have made a baby quilt! I was going to take a picture but I forgot and I delivered it today so, oh well. I also made her a nursing cover and unlike the quilting experience, it was my best piece of sewing work so far. I did everything right the first time and all my seams looked really nice and clean; I also loved the material we picked out for it.
My next project is to make luggage handles for our women's conference goodie bags we are doing this year. They should be pretty easy, but that's what I always say and it never seems to be the case. I had a bunch of house goals that I wanted to get done before my family came for women's conference and unfortunately none of them have been done. I don't foresee them getting done anytime soon either because the next few weeks are going to be a blur of family visiting and us going up to Idaho. So as long as I get them done before the baby comes I will happy.
I also try to make sure I have time every day to spend focusing just on Matthew. He is so much fun these days and he loves having mom play with him. The kid is getting so grown up. His latest favorite thing is "Sing". He always has to have me sing him a song or two before he goes to sleep and during the day he will climb onto the bed in his room with his blanket and lay there while I sing to him. It's pretty cute and I have really had to brush up on my primary songs. Matthew likes doing the actions to the "Wise Man and the Foolish Man". He also LOVES "The Wheels on the Bus" and he will show me which verse he wants me to sing next by doing the action. He has also discovered the alphabet and always wants me to sing the ABC's to him while pointing to the letters on our fridge.
I will try to put up some more exciting posts soon, and include some pictures, so stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the happy sounds of life in the fast lane. Nothing could be finer. I love that you and Julie are still good friends. She's a good egg.

Anonymous said...

Justin, maybe you could tell me about a race here that you are going to do and I'll pretend like I am training with you.

Kelly said...

I'm excited to see pictures! It's so good that you're feeling better and can do some of these things. And just to let you know...I think you're amazing. Thanks for being such a good example!