Well, he is really just half an iron man-but that is man enough for me! Justin completed his half iron man on Saturday. I was going to have him post about it but it didn't happen yesterday and school started today which means you get to hear my version of the story. I always love watching him race because I am amazed at what he and the other athletes are able to endure. Pretty sure I would die on the swim and have to get brought back by the little kayaker people-let alone bike and run after that. The race started at 6:45 a.m. which meant it was an early morning, and the mosquitoes were horrible in the park. Kimi and Kevin were so kind to come and support Justin and hang out with me for the 6 hours while we waited. The swim was fun to watch because you could walk right along the pier where they were swimming and we could pick Justin out as he came around the buoy. The run was also exciting to watch because the way they looped they ran past us 4 times! Justin finished the 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run in 5 hours and 33 minutes!! He came in 5th for his age group. He would have liked to have gone a little faster but overall is pleased with his time and how he did. He kept getting charlie horses in his calves curing the run but other than that his race went pretty smoothly. It was definitely different than the Olympic distance triathlon's he has done.
I am so proud of Justin-it's not everday a girl gets to say her husband just did a half iron man. I took him out to dinner than night to celebrate and to help reload his carbs. Needless to say he is a little sore still but is feeling quite well. Now he gets to start training for the Red Rock Relay he is doing in 2 weeks. : ) And then, we will take a break for the winter. Congratulations Justin-you did it!
(I forgot my camera (grrr) but Kimi and Kevin luckily had theirs. I will post some pictures as soon as I get those from them.)
2 comments:
GO JUSTIN, GO!!! That is one impressive accomplishment. One time at SVU, Coach Wright coerced me and a few others into attempting a half-ironman triathlon. We didn't even get to train for it! Let me just say, I TRULY admire anyone who can actually DO that (I got lost while biking and accidentally cut it short, but it still took me at least 9 hours to finish). Justin has earned his winter break!
Well, I can appreciate what you have done, because it takes me approximately 5 days of 5 miles every other day just to do the run portion. And swimming. . . well let's just say the little kayaker people would be no help for me.
Way to Go!
Post a Comment