So, while I was home for Easter my mother convinced me to start reading Twilight and sent me back with the book. I finally gave in and read it; I finished yesterday. I didn't love it at first but said I wouldn't judge it until I had read the whole thing. So here is my judgment. Plot idea: very creative and intriguing. The whole idea of a human falling in love with a vampire makes you want to read the story and find out what will come of it all. Character development: quite predictable, the characters were a little stagnant but again, the plot holds their characters together and makes the reader want to keep reading. Quality of writing: not awesome, I recognize it was written for a juvenile audience but I found it very predictable and lacking good build up and description of pivotal moments, such as their first kiss. You could predict it was going to happen but then it just happened and was over. It was a big deal but the writing didn't bring that level of intensity to it. So basically, it had a good plot and yes, I plan on reading the other three books to find out how it ends, but I don't quite think it warrants the huge to do that so many women have made out of it. Why can't women go crazy over a good, well written, classic piece of literature? Which brings me to Glen Beck.
This week while driving home from school I threw in the towel and said I had had enough cheesy FM radio. I turned to the AM stations and found Glen Beck-his show is conveniently on at the same time I drive home. I have loved listening to something more serious (who cares about the celebrities and Dancing with the Stars? does it really matter that much? how people can stand to listen to and care about that stuff all the time I will never understand) and thinking about something that really matters. It is always good to stay informed of issues and what people are saying about them. I am sometimes appalled at the things people call in and say-but at least it provokes thought.
As far as other things go- Intramurals are going well and keeping us very busy. We had a game every night last week and this week will be no different. We went to Evans Hair College in Lindon and got our hair cut. It is so refreshing to have newly cut hair that will actually curl and do what you want it to. I only have 7 days of school left! And that is the end of my story today. Have a great week!
3 comments:
Yeah, your assessment of the Twilight books is accurate. But great for a no-brainer relaxing read. I still contend that you can come up with some interesting discussions if you like. For instance . . . isn't it refreshing for an author to take a character who is supposed to be bad and make him good. He has every excuse to do evil, but he doesn't. He shows integrity even when it seems impossible for him to do so. After all they do need blood to survive, but they don't take the easy way out or try to justify their natural desire. They choose the right. Something to think about.
Hallelujah!! Another Glenn Beck fan. He makes so much sense, and yes it is nice to think about something that might actually matter to the world. Personally I could care less who the next American Idol is or if Simon leaves the show.
Here's to Anne of Green Gables and Atlas Shrugged.
Glenn Beck is awesome. I download his shows almost every day online and listen to them while cleaning house or whenever else I get a chance. It's definitely nice to know more about what is going on in the world...other than lame TV shows. Good to hear you're a fan!
Whoever Sheri is, did you have to sign up to be an Insider in order to download his shows? How did you do that if not? I've tried before.
Thanks
Carissa's Mom
Post a Comment