First I have to say that I am so grateful for my husband who is so awesome at helping me out and doing whatever needs done, without being asked. I love the guy!
Second, sorry this is once again a blog without pictures. I need to get better at taking pictures of things.
Third, and the real reason for posting...what I learned today. (because I know you all care)
Today we had our Stake Enrichment Meeting and it was AWESOME!! They did such a nice job putting it all together. The morning started off with a keynote speaker, Sister Wendy Nelson, the wife of Elder Nelson. Three main points I got were:
1. If you are not living up to what you said you would do/be in the premortal life then you can never have a truly happy spirit. Be who you once were.
2. She talked a lot about the power of questions. Good thoughts, too long to put in a blog.
3. She kept saying that when a righteous woman senses something is not right, you better pay attention to it.
Then we broke out into classes. I was a hostess for one of the classes and so was only able to attend just that one. However, it was very good and I thought I would share. The class was titled Streamline vs. Organize. It was taught by Alice Osborne. She emphasized the need to streamline instead of just continually organizing all the junk we really don't need. Her big thing was if you don't like it, want it, use it, need it, or have room for it, then get rid of it!! Here are her 8 steps to streamlining:
1. Prepare: set aside a day, get garbage bags, have an easy plan for dinner, etc.
2. Collect Containers: find things to put all the junk you clean out in
80% of what you get rid of should be charity and the other 20% trash. You will also need a someplace else box (things you are keeping but don't have a place for yet), a need to be filed box and small organization containers for drawers and closets.
3. Work in a Clockwise Pattern. Always start in your master bedroom and then work clockwise through the house. Also, clean in a clockwise pattern within each room. She also gave lots of good tips about cleaning out your closet and how to organize under your bed.
4.Evaluate & Assign: give rhyme and reason to your spaces
5. Use Keeper Questions: you have to touch everything in the room. If you cannot answer yes to one of the questions: do I like it, need it, want, it, use it, or have room for it, then you must get rid of it.
6. Group & store: put things into categories so they are easy to find
7. Give every family member a memory box
8. Enjoy the empty space, and resist the urge to fill it up again.
She said that the average home they streamline, has 45-50 large black garbage bags they get rid of. Sweet! Anyways, if you want more details just give me a holler or you can check out her book: Its Here...Somewhere
I've been wanting to reorganize my house. But now I know how to streamline it! All I need is a little time and energy to get it done.
2 comments:
I think the time and the energy part were two very key points in actually getting this type of thing done.... :)
But thanks for the tips. I should do that in preparation for our move. Why move something if I don't like it, want it, need it, etc?? Thanks for sharing!
blast! that was Tiff. :)
Post a Comment