Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Monday, January 13, 2020

Books read in 2019

My book list is a little shorter than normal this year. But it was just one of those years...new baby and a move. I did make my reading count though with some great reads this year.

1. Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers- LOVE this one!
2. Real Moms by Lisa Valentine Clark- someone gave this to me for my birthday. Not my style of book but there was some good stuff in it and was very relatable.
3. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath- fascinating and sad. A glimpse into the mental health world and made me grateful I didn't live in the 60's
4. Matilda- Roald Dahl (audiobook)
5. Boxcar Children- audiobook. It's always fun to share stories you loved as a child with your kids.
6. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin: This was AWESOME! I now recommend it to anyone having a baby, especially wanting to have a natural childbirth.
7. Thousand Pieces of Gold by Ruthanne Lum McCunn: This was a treasure I found. I especially found it intersting because of the historical ties to Idaho. And I ended up moving to the area in which the book takes place. I have seen an exhibit on Polly at the local museum and a visit to her house is on my bucket list for this summer. Definitely recommend this book.
8. Remains of the Day by Ishikuo Kazuo: This was a favorite from college that I recommended to our book club. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it again and discussing it.
9. Educated by Tara Westover- so many good discussions had from this book. Also took place right near where I was living.
10. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling: Read at the request of my children and it was fun to read something light and a story I love.
11. Little Legends Spell Thief by Jack Perceval- I let each of the boys choose a book for me to read this summer and this was the one Koyle choose. It's hard for me to keep up with everything they read and I wanted to be a part of their reading world. So I read these right after Addy was born when I was spending a lot of time on the couch healing from surgery.
12. Fablehaven by Brandon Mull- this was Matthew's choice for me. He loves these books and we talk about them a lot so it was fun to actually read it on my own finally. Really a great book and if I had time I would read the rest of the series.
13. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do by Charles Duhigg (audiobook)- This was also fascinating. I learned so many things. I could listen to this one again for sure.
14. Waldens Pond by Thoreau- started reading this for my book club and struggled with it all summer long before finally abandoning it. At a different time I would like to try it again. I liked the materal but it was really slow with no real plot and just wasn't right for me this year. I would always fall asleep (sleep deprived mom of baby) or never make reading a priority because it was begging me to read more. Good ideas in it though and definitely some truths.
15. The New Testament- an oldy but goody ; ) Really enjoyed studying the scriptures more in depth with my family this year.

I already have some good reading lined up for this year and am hoping to get more reading time in. But right now I have a sick baby to hold and rock.

1 comment:

Shaina said...

Good for you, reading books your kids like. Jay and Rose are so into fantasy, I can't stand reading all of the dragons and magic they love. I did read Fablehaven and Percy Jackson series, but that's about all I could take, haha. Good for you! Reading not-first-choice books is way harder when you're sleep deprived!