Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Monday, March 7, 2016

A Very Creative Weekend

I have been working on putting together old blog posts getting ready to print it into a book. It is always fun to walk down memory lane as I have been going through these old posts. My favorite ones are when I captured those every day activities that capture the essence of my children at the stage they were at.
This weekend my kids were on a project binge and I love when they let their creative juices reign King. Koyle often wants to take part in the projects Matthew thinks up and this is a great benefit to Koyle since it usually involves using the skills he needs practice with-writing, coloring, focusing, etc.

Matthew has a game called Creature Clash. Its pretty fun and it involves making animals using different heads, tails, and bodies. If he can't find anyone to play with him he just has fun making funny animals with the cards. On Saturday he decided he wanted to create his own creatures. He did most of it himself, finding the images on google, copying and pasting them into a word document, and then I helped him make them the right size and print it out. Then he colored them, cut them apart, and used his cards to decide which combination of parts he would put together. Koyle wanted to make his own, but he decided he wanted to put his animals back together the right way.
                                                                   



 After he finished that project, he decided he wanted to color all the crests from each house in Hogwarts. It was his idea to glue them all together this way.

The other day Koyle was insistent that we make real Easter eggs. I tried to tell him it was too early for Easter eggs but he would not accept that fact. Finally I gave in and boiled three eggs for him to color and eat. While I was trying to distract him from the idea of real Easter eggs we looked at ideas of other fun Easter crafts we could make and decided it would be fun to make some salt dough eggs we could paint and give to our teachers and friends as gifts. On Sunday we painted the eggs we made.

 Then they all wanted to keep painting so we got out the easel and they each made a nice picture. Matthew's was a cabin and a tree that was on fire with a burnt log next to it. The mountains were in the background with a nice colorful evening sky. Koyle painted Caprock Canyon. (Yes, he came up with that on his own.) They both even did a good job mixing their paint to create their own colors like brown and orange.

I even made myself a cute egg garland out of paint color chips. I enjoy these breaks from dragons and sword fighting when my kids use their imagination in a different way. Creating never gets old.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I love this! There are some days that I am so excited to have kids to do projects with and stuff like that and this totally fueled a bit of that! And then there are other days that I remember that I'm in charge 24/7 with the kid/s and I remind myself that I'm so not ready for that haha.

Anonymous said...

Yay! For crafts, nothin wrong with a little cuttin' and past in'!