Tonight Glenn Beck talked about entering a second renaissance. One steeped in where technology is taking us. There are some pretty incredible things happening. The other path, if we choose to not to accept this new 'enlightenment' is war and a loss of freedoms.
This brings me to a serious crossroads. For whatever reason, I naturally push back against most new technology. It makes me uncomfortable and nervous. I worry about the impact it has on us as people and how it changes our behaviors.
The Church has been making a big push lately to use technology for good. I am not so naive as to be blind to the good that technology does. But I don't know if I am ready to usher in a new reality either. Clearly I have a lot of pondering to do because I want to be on the side of light and truth. New innovations that changed the world in the past were good and clearly benefited society: the printing press, electricity, the industrial revolution. Were those people able to clearly see that this change was good? Or did they have to seek for truth, trust, and let time show them the result?
I think that I need to trust in innovation as long as it is used within bounds of righteousness. But what do those bounds really look like?
I will say that I would rather choose light and knowledge over fear and uncertainty. Where do I stand? Where do you stand?
3 comments:
I had never thought of technology as another renaissance before. But I have thought, before of the millions of ways there are to do good in the world. I heard that address by President Bednar about flooding the world with good via social media and the internet, and though I don't dislike new technology, I felt a little overwhelmed with the thought of trying to add one more way to comfortably share the gospel or lift others. I have to remind myself that there are so many ways to do good and partake of that truth and light--some people could be called to be a beacon of light to their friends and followers online. Others might be called to get really involved in a local community project and make differences and connections there. And still others might be called to speak to and lift those they find themselves physically around each day--family, people in the grocery store, Dr.'s office, etc. I think no one has to do everything, but everyone has their something, you know? We just need to find what we need to do. And maybe you don't need to be steeped in this new technology to make your mark on the world. :-)
By the way, I've been wanting to get a hold of you but can't find a current email. :-) Would you email me? stephanie (dot) carlson07 (at) gmail.com. I have a few silly questions, if you don't mind helping me out. :-)
I LOVED Stephanie's response. It went right along with two things I read/listened to yesterday. The first was listening to this:
http://www.mormonchannel.org/listen/series/mormon-channel-daily-audio/interview-with-tim-ballard-of-ourrescueorg-february-17-2015
And the second, was reading this (copied and pasted from D. Todd Chistofferson's facebook post):
"Last week, I was invited to speak to students at the Harvard Law School as a part of a “Mormonism 101” lecture series. With much being said lately about the outlook of world economies, income inequality, and needs of the poor and refugee populations, I decided to share some doctrines from the law of consecration and explain a little about what it means to consecrate yourself by devoting your life to further God’s work.
"For each of us, the key question is “What does God want me to do with the resources, time, and talents He has given me?” That is a challenging, all-encompassing question. And it demands deep, soul-stretching answers. Your desire to know God’s will can help you find the right answer for you in your particular circumstances today."
I've been thinking a lot about how ultimately it only matters what God thinks--in everything I do. It's a humbling thought and a motivating thought. But I've got a long ways to go.
That's a round-about answer to your question but your question would make for a great workout conversation (maybe we could even skip the workout and just chat)!
-Steph (I'm too lazy to sign out for B)
I am just catching up on blog posts and I LOVE this topic. We should talk! But let me share this much here. I attended a class at Women's Conference titled Time for a Woman's Voice. It was inspiring and changed how I feel about my responsibility to use technology. My notes included in capital letters. WE MUST BECOME COMPETENT USERS OF TECHNOLOGY! Michael Otterson director of the church public relations spoke of how the majority of searches on the Internet will return negative comments on Mormons, on YouTube 81% is negative is you search Mormon women. We know this is not a true representation of who we are and we can change that statistic simply by being active on social media and sharing positive things. There was so much more but let me leave you with this to ponder from Spencer W. Kimball - I believe that the Lord is anxious to put into our hands inventions of which we laymen have hardly had a glimpse. Can't wait to have time to chat with you.
Post a Comment