Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

STEP 1

We always love and look forward to our Idaho trip each summer. This year however I found myself dragging my feet about going. I kind of had this attitude about everything in life, but it just sounded like a lot of work and craziness that I wasn't sure I was up to. Justin had insisted all along that it would be best for us to be in Idaho during the weeks leading up to his test; I was not convinced. Turns out he was right. Life was crazy and still adjusting to 3 kids was a lot of work. And Justin was locked away physically, mentally, and emotionally preparing for STEP 1. Our only saving grace was having lots of support and help from family. Justin could focus knowing that the kids and I were taken care of, and I could support him because I had the help I needed.
   Justin was a trooper and put his very best effort in. He would wake up before anyone else and start studying. He would appear briefly for lunch and dinner, but it was always right back to the room for him. He wouldn't stop until late each day. Occasionally we did venture out together. He came to Jamie's graduation, but he did this the entire time:
One night we met Brent and Janelle and Zach and Rachel for sno cones. Brent and Janelle had found this new Hawaiian place that was awesome. We got the Big Kahuna which was HUGE and super delicious. It had coconut ice cream in the center and sweetened condensed milk drizzled over the top.
Any time we were in the car he was doing flashcards. It was intense and we would not have survived at home. (Turns out having a baby right before a major life event is a big deal.) 
But then it came time for the test. Justin didn't really study the day before and it was so nice to have him around. He was nervous though and definitely feeling the pressure. 
He took the test on June 12. I packed a lunch for him and dropped him off wishing there was more I could have done to help. 8 hours later I picked him up-a free man!
That night my family watched the kids and Justin and I went on a much needed date. I took him out to dinner at Kona Grill where we sat at the sushi bar. The sushi was pretty good actually. Then we walked around the Villages and the park for a little while before heading home.
Oh, glorious freedom! We have had the nicest 3 weeks since then.
Good job Justin! I am so happy for your sake that 2nd year is over. You have officially finished your life of sitting at a desk and studying day in and day out. Hopefully we are still feeling this happy next week when we get the test results back; but I feel confident you did just fine. You handled this past year with much more grace and dedication that I did-may the Lord bless you for that and for your devotion to your family. We love you!!

3 comments:

Becca said...

Its like looking in a mirror!!! Amen to all you said. And I know they will both be blessed. :).

Hope you enjoy third year. So far Landons done 10 days of ortho peds and another 10 days of anesthesiology. His first test is tomorrow. :) No time for rest for the aspiring doctors right?

Love you guys.

Stephanie said...

Such a sweet little note to Justin. Hallelujah to be done with desk work. Congratulations to you BOTH!

Tiffany said...

So glad he is finally done. I was anxious for you guys, and feeling so bad that you didn't have a husband for weeks. :) and I am confident he will rock that test, just like he always does.