Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Landon: 2 months

They say time flies when you're having fun and that has definitely been the case with Landon's first two months. People ask me how the transition to 3 has been and I just smile and say, "It's great! But I've only been on my own for about 1 1/2 weeks!" Seriously though it has been great and mostly due to the fact that we have been surrounded by family and I've had Justin around. But enough about me, let's talk about Landon.

Weight: 13 lbs 7 oz
Height: 23 1/4 in
He is growing, growing, growing! And probably because...
Nursing: He eats every 2 hours and even though I am really trying not to feed him more frequently than that, he has times when he eats every 1 1/2 hours. I really don't mind feeding him that often most of the time. And if my baby is asking for food I don't see any reason not to give it to him. He usually nurses for about 15 minutes on one side; sometimes he is faster than that it just depends on how sleepy he is. I figure he is getting about 4 ounces at each feeding because that is typically how much I pump off each side. But sometimes he gets more because I will pump around 6 oz on one side.

Bottle: Justin feeds Landon one bottle at night-the last feeding before he goes down for the night, and I pump at that time. He takes the bottle fine but he is super inconsistent about how much he drinks. Some nights he will only drink 2 ounces before falling into a deep sleep. Other nights he will drink 6. There was even one night that he drank 8 ounces! The porker! But on average he drinks between 3-3.5 oz. I have done this system with each of my babies and I love it. I do it for a couple of reasons. First it gives Justin good bonding time with the baby each night-which may sound silly but when his schedule gets busy it guarantees he has at least 15 or 20 minutes with the baby at night. It also allows me to build up my milk storage so that I can leave the baby with a babysitter (usually Justin) whenever I need and I don't have to worry about him eating while I'm away. Since I pump on both sides at night and he typically only eats off of one, I make one bottle for him to eat, and one to store away each day. Also, with my overactive letdown it really helps regulate me if I can pump myself empty and start fresh each day. If I go more than a couple days without pumping things get a little interesting. 
Sleep: Landon is a great sleeper. From about a month on he was only waking up twice at night and now he has pretty much gone to sleeping from about 10:30-5:30. It varies a little each night, and occasionally he will still wake up at 3ish to eat, but for the most part he is sleeping through the night. He will eat at 5:30 and then go back to sleep until around 8 or 8:30! Awesome. During the day he is still all over the place with no real schedule. He does get tired about an hour after he wakes up in the morning and will sleep for around an hour. Then he usually takes one or two naps in the afternoon and one or two in the evening. Sometimes he will take a good long 3 hour nap, and other days he takes a bunch of small 1 hour naps. Probably 2/3 of the time I can lay him down in his crib with his binky and he will put himself back to sleep; you just have to give him back his binky a couple of times. The rest of the time he will fuss and fight it to the death and you have to rock and bounce and all that jazz to get him to fall asleep. But I think he is doing awesome for only being 2 months old. 
Social: Landon loves to smile and as long as he is fed and not tired we can usually make him smile at us. We have been trying to get him to laugh at us for a while and last night Justin finally got a few chuckles out of him. I am still waiting for a good hearty laugh though. He loves to be held.
Motor: He loves to kick his legs and is just starting to discover his hands. More and more often his hands are finding his face and sometimes his mouth-that always makes him really happy. He enjoys sitting on the play mat looking at the toys and enjoys hitting them at random as he wiggles. He can hold his head up great and if you catch him in the right mood he will enjoy tummy time for quite a while.
Poop: We can't leave this one out. Luckily he has stopped pooping 10 times a day like he was and now he averages more like 4-6 times a day (usually closer to the 6 side). Needless to say we go through a lot of diapers. Pooping isn't quite the ordeal it used to be but he still makes good faces and grunting noises. : )

He loves the bath, especially when he gets his feet kicking in the water. He enjoys being outside and likes to soak up a little sun. He is pretty chill except at night when he always gets super fussy. Sometimes he will just cry and scream and nothing we do will calm him down. And then he'll just stop and be happy for a while before starting to cry again. Super random and annoying. Justin and I are missing our quiet time to get things done at night after the boys are in bed. I am hoping this works itself out soon.
Mostly we love him to pieces and the boys are very patient with the time it takes to care for him. Having a baby in the home brings so much love and joy...why can't they stay little forever? But I can't wait to get to know his personality better and to see what kind of dynamic he will bring to our life.
 We took Landon swimming with us the other day and despite the water being a little cold he seemed to enjoy it. He was super adorable in his little swim suit too!


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That trick with the pumping/giving one bottle a night is genius. I was lucky with my first two--they started taking bottles around two months old. But with my latest, when I finally tried to give him a bottle of expressed milk, he refused. We tried for weeks. No go. :-/ Anyways, if another little Carlson baby ever comes along, I think I'll use your trick. :-)

Landon is adorable! I love those cheeks!