We planted a garden! And it is growing! So exciting. Like most things of this nature we decided very spur of the moment to move forward with this plan. Forever I have been telling Justin that I wanted to use the dirt space in the alley to plant something. I finally decided I was going to grow a pumpkin there. So that was my plan. A few weekends ago Justin randomly ran into a friend from the ward at the gas station and he had some shovels in the back of his truck and so Justin asked to borrow one. He came home and our little garden plot was born. We planted peas along the back by the fence, 2 rows of green beans, 2 rows of carrots, a tomato plant and a pepper plant. Then we made a wind block out of paper grocery bags and hoped for the best.
Ironically the very next night a storm blew in. And I mean BLEW in. Our paper bag wind block got destroyed, and our tomato plant froze. I finally came up with the solution to put a box on top of the tomato and pepper plant with a piece of wood on top so it wouldn't blow away. And that has been our wind protection. Since it has been warmer temperatures but still windy the past few days I poked a bunch of holes in the box so the plants won't get too hot. For now it is working great. Who needs to build fancy structures to protect your plants? Not me!
We have about 7 or 8 peas that have sprouted and are growing quickly! It is quite exciting to see our own little garden growing. The boys think it is super awesome that we are growing our own food! I just hope we can keep our plants alive as the weather gets hotter and that they will stay alive while we are gone in June.
 |
| I told you it was small. But it is really about the experience of growing something rather than harvesting food to feed my family with. |
 |
| Our wind block that just couldn't handle the strong Lubbock wind storm. I think it would work okay for normal windy days though... |
 |
| Our pea sprouts popping up! |
I love gardening. Here's to not waiting for the future but making do with what we have!
3 comments:
Way to go Carissa! That's awesome. I tried planting flowers last year and only a couple grew. Come to find out this year, it's because we have some nasty little animals -- chipmunks or gophers or something of that nature -- digging holes all around our yard and house and eating up lots of things, including the weeds. :P
Yay for gardens!
You are simply amazing! I have to watch videos on youtube to learn how I should trim my roses. There is no way in beep that I could come up with such creative ways to keep my garden alive. I didn't even know that plants had to be protected from the wind! Hahaha!
-Your clueless sister-in-law
Post a Comment