Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bless you, dear Koyle

Tonight was a little rough. My patience had been a little thin all day long and Matthew totally freaked out tonight when I told him it was time to clean up trains and get ready for bed. After making it through that freak out session, he had another melt down when it was time to read scriptures. So we only read 2 verses. Then it was time to say prayer. Lately Matthew has refused to pray and when he does he gets all silly, and starts messing around and won't finish, he doesn't fold his arms or listen to the prayer...you get the idea. So last night I told Matthew that he was going to say the prayer every night until he decided that it was okay to pray and he could do it right. So, tonight I held his arms folded and had his feet between my legs until he decided to stop messing around and say the prayer. We got past that and then he dropped to the floor like a limp noodle when it was time to walk to bed. I was carrying Koyle and half dragging/carrying Matthew into the bedroom. Matthew started fighting more and wouldn't stand up so I just let go of his arm and he dropped to the floor, bonking his head. This of course led to more screaming and crying. At this point my patience was GONE so I grabbed him and dropped him in bed, covered him with his blanket, and told him I didn't want to see him until the morning. (That sounds very mean, I know-and it is mean. I am working on being nicer to my children when I get upset.) Matthew then proceeded to get out of bed multiple times, and I would put him back and he would get out and stand by the door and cry and cry because I told him to go back to bed. I think you get the idea of how the night was going.
Well, my dear, sweet, baby Koyle layed quietly in his bed and just played with his blanket through the entire thing. He never made a peep-seriously. He was the angel of my night. I know I say it almost every time I post but he is such a good baby and I just love having him around. He is teaching me to be more peaceful and gentle. Matthew can take the rough and tough side of me, but because Koyle is more gentle it makes me want to be more sensitive myself. Don't get me wrong, I love both of my children. But tonight I am especially grateful for Koyle and how easy he is.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's hope Koyle isn't taking notes. Try to keep perspective and remember someday you will be reading his wifes blog with a smile on your face cuz he has a kid just like him. This too shall pass.

Stephanie said...

It makes me so happy to hear when other moms have "mean moments"! I know that sounds horrible, but it's nice to know that no one can be a perfect parent 100% of the time--it sorta takes the pressure off :-). I'm sure Matthew won't even remember last night's craziness this morning, and I'm glad you have wonderful little Koyle to make things easier during the toddler rough patches.

Anonymous said...

Are my kids going to be like Matthew and Maddi....hahaha
Lindy

Mary Ludwig said...

I think sometimes mean mom moments are a little necessary. I suffer from not having enough of them I think. When I get overwhelmed and end up letting Lily do whatever she wants until someone else can come deal with it. She knows this and tries to push my buttons to that point. It's something we're working on. So- yeah. Don't be too hard on yourself for not being 100% patient. :)

Myranda said...

Miss Anonymous...aka Lindy Lou:

Matthew and Maddi are great kids!!! Carissa told me about your post so just for your info, my sweet little 5 year old Maddi cleaned my house while I took a quick nap yesterday since I've been feeling so crappy...so yes, I hope your kids are just like her. :)

Carissa:Hang in through those rough times...I learned a lot from Maddi's rough toddler years! But sometimes, I think the kids need to see those angry eyes come out and know that their behavior is not acceptable. They gotta learn somehow and hey, we turned out okay! :) Love ya mom!

Becca said...

I love it. And bless Koyle is right. I can't wait to see his cute cute face!

Anonymous said...

Boy oh boy I can sure relate. I think we've all had moments like that. -LeighAnn