Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Thursday, March 22, 2012

6 Months Old

Time flies when you are having fun-and we are having fun! Koyle is 6 months old and so without further ado here is a good old baby update:
Size: 16 lbs 5 1/2 oz
26 in. long
Head circumference 43 cm.
Eating: Koyle has been eating rice and oatmeal cereal for a month now and he does great with them, as long as I make it with breast milk. He usually just gags on it if I make it with water, although he is getting a little better. I started him on green beans today and he actually did pretty well. He was a little upset to start with so lunch in general involved a lot of tears. But once I held him on my lap and fed him he calmed down and ate just fine. Occasionally he would kind of gag on the beans, but really he ate them pretty great for his first time. Not surprising though with Koyle, he is pretty easy going.
We still have problems with him refusing to nurse. The doctor said although his weight gain has slowed down, it hasn't dropped enough to worry about. She said that some babies just aren't worried about eating, they would rather be doing something else (this describes Koyle well). She said not to stress about it and if I only feed him every 6 hours, that is just fine, especially since he has started solids. Of course he has eaten great the last few days but it is nice to know that I don't need to worry about making him nurse. Although it still kind of frustrating when you need to go somewhere but Koyle won't eat so then I always end up feeding him out places or he is just fussy. The punk. So in general he eats every 2 hours, but he can easily go 4 hours between feedings and be just fine; it all depends on what kind of mood he is in that day or what we are doing.
Sleep: Koyle puts himself to sleep really well. We just lay him down in his crib with a binky and blanket and he nods right off. Sometimes we have to go back and give him his binky again but he usually doesn't cry. He has had a nasty cough for the past 2 1/2 weeks so sleeping at night has not been great. The only thing that would make him stop coughing was to nurse him, so I did. The past couple of nights he has been feeling better and falling back into his more normal routine. He usually goes to bed around 8 and will wake up to eat around 2 or 3. Then again between 5-6:30. He is usually up for the day by 7 or 7:30. I am working on getting him to sleep at night until 5 without eating; now that he is healthy I can really try. He still usually takes 3 naps a day, varying from 45 minutes to 2 hours each. He is only fairly predictable which has made me get better at reading his signs of tiredness or hunger since he isn't on a real consistent schedule.
Skills: Koyle is still not rolling over, although this week he has finally decided to at least start trying. He is getting close so as long as I keep remembering to practice and do tummy time with him, I bet he will be rolling in the next couple of weeks. He has figured out how to turn himself around in a circle on his tummy just by wiggling and squirming. He has been sitting up great for quite a while and is getting pretty good at using both of his hands.
Communication: Koyle doesn't jabber a ton, but he does jabber. He still mostly squeals and makes baby sounds-no ma ma or da da yet. He laughs more and more which we love. He has started reaching his arms out sometimes when he wants me, or something. I think he might even know his name, but it is hard to tell if he is just responding to my voice, or to me actually using his name.

All in all, Koyle is a great baby. He is usually pretty content to sit and play and watch Matthew or mommy doing whatever. He loves to be played with (what baby doesn't) and is really starting to be interested in his surroundings and likes going to new places. Content is a great word to describe Koyle. As long as he isn't hungry or tired he is a pretty happy baby. We love him and he brings so much peace and joy into our home.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

This is Brent!! Koyle sounds like a stud!! I read the post earlier about Matthew screaming because he didn't want to go to bed and I'm sorry. But good thing Koyle was so cooperative. You can tell Matthew that if he doesn't behave his uncle Brent will eat his little face:-)