Then, we got a very sad and unexpected phone call Thursday night from my parents telling us that my cousin had died. We packed our bags and Friday afternoon were headed to Idaho for 8 days. Things were a little chaotic. We were spending every day over at my aunt and uncles house and needless to say Matthew wasn't getting the constant attention a potty training 2 year old needs. We tried to stay up on it, but after the 4th nasty poop episode at my aunts house-I was done. This was not the time to deal with potty training. So, we went back to pull ups. I would still take Matthew to the bathroom occasionally, but the longer he was in pull ups the less he was holding it and he started just going whenever again.
When we finally came back home I thought we would just jump right back into it: Think Again! Matthew no longer saw the excitement of undies. His attitude was: Why wear underwear and have to go to the bathroom if I can just wear pull ups and not worry about it? So after a few rough days, I bagged it. Justin was out of town for the weekend and I was not ready to deal with it. I took a few days to re-coupe and I made a sweet train tracks potty chart and a behavior incentive chart thing for pooping. We needed another package of underwear so Matthew got to pick out some train undies, and we started the whole adventure over again.
It was not as hard the second time to get back into it, although it didn't happen overnight; it still took about a week. As long as I take Matthew to the bathroom about every 2 hours we don't have any accidents. Pooping was not going as well though. By the end of that first week, we still had had no success. So as part of our date night, Justin and I went shopping for something train that would motivate Matthew. We ended up with a cool remote control train engine. We showed it to Matthew and put it out in the family room where he couldn't reach it and explained that he had to go poop in the potty if he wanted to get the train. It still took 2 days, but finally he did it!
So in short, Matthew is more or less potty trained...and it only took us a month to get there ; ) We are not 100% but hey, I already saved myself one month of diapers!
3 comments:
Yay for you and Matthew!!! And congrats on options for med school. That's super exciting!
Thank you for sharing! I had a similar stop-and-go experience with Jay and we haven't tried again quite yet. It's nice to hear other potty stories. Way to go, Matthew! I need to get some major rewards before we try again. And some major patience. :) Yay for you guys!
i love the train chart and the "i want...so i will" poster. you're such a cute mom!
Lindy
Post a Comment