Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Saturday, March 19, 2011

It's About Time

I have been meaning to do an update for a while now and it just hasn't happened. Partly from not feeling well, partly from not having the computer at home much, and partly from pure lack of motivation to do so. But it is about time I post again. This post will be divided into three sections (one for each of us!) so if you just want to read about all the cute things Matthew is doing then you can do that. I like to think some people still care about Justin and I's boring life, but let's be honest; Matthew is just much cuter and more entertaining. : )
Matthew
He is getting so big. I took him to the doctor a few weeks ago because he had Influenza A (that was fun) and he weighed in at 24 pounds 8 ounces. On my height board at home he measures 2 ft. 8 inches. He is such a big boy these days that luckily he likes to run around on his own most of the time. (When my siatic nerve was acting up there were some days I could barely walk while holding him.) He is also talking a lot. He jabbers quite a bit but he also is getting better at using his words to ask for things, and he has really been trying to repeat everything we say. His all time favorite word at the moment is bubble. Matthew is in love with bubbles. But this word holds many meanings. Bubble means water and more specifically I want to do the dishes or I want to take a bath. He also likes washing his hands with soap which he calls bubbles. He absolutely loves watching videos of himself on the camera and taking pictures and his favorite video is of him saying "bubble" so naturally he also calls the camera bubble. He also loves babies and he will always point to the computer and ask for "baby" which means he wants to look at pictures and watch videos of himself, or others, as a baby. He also enjoys pointing to mom's baby, and of course his stomach is also a baby now. Matthew has also been very interested in "mine" lately. He always has to identify what is his, and what is mom's. One of his other favorites is "bye-bye". He loves to go bye-bye, and sometimes if we are just hanging out at home he will just say "bye-bye" and then walk into a different room and shut the door. Whenever he is done playing with something he will tell it bye-bye. This works out really nicely because I can get him to stop doing almost anything by telling it bye-bye. If we are outside and it's time to come inside we just tell the outside bye-bye, and he comes right in without a fight. He does the same thing at night as we carry him to bed; he will tell everything bye-bye as he goes.
Matthew has discovered pickles and he eats at least one almost every day. I find this quite intersting because I ate a pickle every day while I was pregnant with him. He loves pancakes and will request them for breakfast sometimes. He also loves to eat corndogs.
Matthew is a pretty smart boy in my opinion and picks up on things so quickly. We put our bird feeder out the other day and he immediately figured out what that was all about. Now he loves to sit at the window and watch for the birds. He also makes the cutest "tweet tweet" noise and he scrunches up his eyes when he does it and it is pretty darn cute. He also loves to watch Lion King; I think it is safe to say that I nearly have that movie memorized. He usually doesn't watch it for more than a few minutes, but he likes having it on in the background. Oh, and how could I forget this one. He loves basketball. He always asks to watch "ba ba ball" and whenever we go outside he heads straight for the basketball hoops. He also loves to throw...everything. I've been trying to teach him that only balls are for throwing. So now he will pick up a toy and ask me, "Ball?" He wants to know if he can throw it like a ball. Sometimes he listens to me, and sometimes he just throws it anyways. Such a silly boy with the cutest smile.
Carissa
I am doing better every week. I have been able to keep up with the dishes and making dinner most of the time these days. Sometimes I get really frusterated because I feel like this delicate, wimpy girl who has to be handled with care. That is not how I usually am at all. If I am feeling really good one day, I have to be careful not to do too much because if I do then I will be sick the next day. Really annoying. Eating is getting better. I still have to eat often but I can hold myself off more now without getting sick. Sleep is one of the biggest things for me right now. If I don't get enough sleep, or if I stay up too late then I for sure get sick. But the annoying part is that I can't fall asleep, and when I finally do I just toss and turn and lay half concious all night long. I will usually read or watch t.v. after I put Matthew down to let my body calm down and I will wait until I am sooo tired I can't keep my eyes open any longer. But when I get in bed and lay down, it usually takes me about 40 minutes to actually fall asleep. I have never had problems sleeping before so this is new to me. I have heard people say you should get up and do something if you can't sleep, and then try to go to sleep again later. But if I get up and do anything, I get sick (we're talking throw up my dinner sick) because my body is overtired. Sigh. I'm hoping this is just a first trimester phase and it goes away. But if anybody has any suggestions for me I'd love to hear them.
Justin
Justin is doing well and plugging along in his school work. I know he is grateful that I am feeling better and able to pull my own weight again. He is so great to always play with Matthew and do those Dad things that Mom won't do. (Like play the game let's throw the balls over the balcony and then Dad will throw them back. A great game, if you don't mind fishing things out of the bushes all day.) He is currently in Havasu, Arizona with the BYU Triathlon team for their first race of the season. We were both curious to see how he would do since he hasn't had much time to train, but he did well. He got a flat tire on the bike which slowed him down but he was able to finish. He didn't know final stats when I talked to him so we'll just have to wait for those. Now he will have just a few weeks to get himself ready for Nationals which are in Tuscaloosa, Alabama this year. He has been enjoying playing some basketball with the ward team and on his city league team. He convinced me to let him play without his ankle braces and he says he feels like a free man now. : ) And of course it is March Madness and BYU is in the tournament so he is following all of that.
Well, I can't think of much else and even if I could, Matthew is waking up from his nap which means it is time for me to say goodbye.

2 comments:

Evans Family said...

Wish I could see that cute kid more often. As for the sleeping...maybe you should just fall asleep on the couch or have you tried listening to calm music? I love Norah Jones when I take a relaxing bath. :)

Larry said...

I was having a hard time sleeping as well when I was pregnant. I usually got up and had a glass of milk while sitting on the couch and then would go back to bed. That helped sometimes. I also started listening to books on my ipod. The voices would put me to sleep. If you decide to try that the Provo Library has an internet data base that you can check books out from so you don't have to pay for them. Lastly, you are allowed to have Tylenol PM while you are pregnant. If you are like me this is a last resort, but it can help you fall asleep but doesn't always help you stay asleep. I hope that one of these helps you. It is hard to take care of a little one with no energy. If there is anything I can do to help you just let me know. I can watch Matthew for an afternoon anytime. Even if it is last minute. -Nancy