Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Frugal Crafter

The onset of fall always makes me feel very crafty and homemaky. In fact, my love of the fall seems to grow each year it comes. The fall also brings the start of school, buying new books, and all that good jazz which also keeps the budget in the front of my mind. So, I have been trying to do crafts using materials I already have at home. Here are my two latest and greatest creations.

A Height Board: I have wanted to do this one for a while. I had some extra ply wood from when we fixed our spare bed and I had the paint I bought on sale last year. My sister saved me on this one; after it rained on my freshly painted board ruining my beautiful work, I was out of paint. But, Mandi let me borrow her extra paint and I was back in business. She is also going to cut the words "How Tall Am I?" with her cricut machine so I can put them on the top. Now I just need to hang it on the wall and then put Matthew's first measurement on it. I am excited to measure my kiddos as they grow and now we can take it with us every time we move!


This next one I did because I needed a gift and I really felt like making something with an autumn theme, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money. So I found this pumpkin pattern online and went to work. It was super easy and only took me about 15-20 minutes; and the best part was I had everything I needed already. The fabric isn't necessarily what I would have chosen had I bought something but I had this old Halloween handkerchief from school last year and I think they turned out super cute. I can hardly wait for it to be October so I can put mine out on display. If you are looking for a fun fall craft, or a good gift for somebody, I highly recommend this one.

7 comments:

Suze said...

Those pumpkin look awesome, I love the measuring board which I am thinking of copying if you don't mind :)

Evans Family said...

super awesome! Have you picked out vinyl yet for the words? To be honest I had totally forgotten the convo we had about me cutting the words out until I read the post...I blame it on the baby. :) Anywho...you're making me want to be crafty...

Shaina said...

I'm a fan of low-budget projects too--you did an amazing job on yours! I wish we could do crafts together.

Anonymous said...

I am in the crafty mood also, and am going to be getting busy. I see now what you meant about the pumpkins. They could really be fun with all kinds of fabric.

Tiffany said...

really cute! Good job using what you already have. I so want to do your measuring board--it turned out so dang cute. I'll call you to get the details on how you measured it to make the measurement marks. Say that 5 times fast! :)

Kelly said...

Those are great Carissa! I think it's awesome that you're doing crafts with stuff you have around.

Janelle said...

Carissa I'm super impressed. I've realized I need to pick up some new hobbies to keep me occupied so I should try to become crafty. I'll have to give you a call for ideas and tips. We miss you guys!