Oct. 2017
Monday, May 3, 2010
My Heritage
Women's Conference has always been a weekend of importance in my family. Growing up it was the weekend that mom went off with her sisters and she always brought us back something fun. Now I am all grown up and conveniently live where the fun happens! My mom doesn't buy me fun things anymore, but I do get to eat out with them for the weekend, which is just as good. : ) I have always loved hanging out with "the women" of the family (namely my mom, grandma, and aunts) and listening to them tell stories of the past and discuss issues of the present. They may not look it on first glance, but they are really quite wise and have a wonderful perspective on life. I found myself particularly enjoying learning from them as mothers now that I am a mother myself. Listening to them tell stories about their kids never sleeping, teething nightmares, and the realities of being a mother was so good for me. The thing I love about my family is that they don't sugar coat things and are not afraid to admit that there were days when they flat out didn't like their child. This makes me believe that maybe I really am cut out for this whole mother thing and it gives me hope that someday, I will be able to go have fun, kid free, weekend trips with my sisters; and until I get to that point, I have so much to look forward to. I love my family heritage, past and present, and have always had a strong sense of carrying my family heritage with me. And I know that with the silent encouragement and wisdom from those I love, I too will be able to live up to my family names and pass that on to my children. Thanks ladies-I love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I too love hanging out with my sisters and Mom and learning from their experiences. It is especially fun to have daughters now share in that tradition. It will be great when you can join us kid free, but most likely I'll be spending a few Womens Conferences with the grandkids while the Moms enjoy conference. It is a right of passage. Thanks Mom for all the times you did that for me.
Don't feel bad Carissa... Mom didn't get me anything from Womens Conference either! I also can't wait until I get to hang out with you guys. We need to do our sisters trip this Summer even though it's kind of me doing the trip :D
Lindy
Post a Comment