Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Thoughts on Repentance

I attend an Institute class every Thursday and the course is Doctrines of the Gospel. This week our topic was Repentance. I really enjoyed class and felt like sharing with you some things I learned. The quotes are a little long so read it if you want to, don't if you don't!

"Sometimes, we regard all too lightly the principle of repentance, thinking that it only means confession, that it only means feeling sorry for ourselves. But it is more than that. It is a deep, burning, and heartfelt sorrow for sin that will drive us to our knees in humility and tears; a deep, heartfelt sorrow for sin that produces a reformation of life. Only then may the God of heaven in His mercy and his goodness see fit to forgive us. He, not the priesthood on earth, is the judge. Priesthood holders can only carry out certain requirements. They can require certain things set forth in the revelations, but forgiveness comes from above." ~Ezra Taft Benson

After reading this I asked a question that I have thought about a lot. We often hear that we should repent daily; that as we pray at night we should review our day and repent of those things we did wrong. However, as stated above, repentance is not merely confession. It is not something that really can be done in 10 minutes either. So where is the balance between continually repenting and sincerely repenting? One class member shared a thought that really stuck with me. She pointed out the importance of recognizing the difference between sin and weakness. Satan is the author of all sin, but the Lord gives men weaknesses. A weakness is not necessarily something we need to repent for; it is something we need to continually ask the Lord to help us with as we strive to make it a strength. For example, if I was not as patient as I could have been, I do not need to repent of it that night. True repentance takes time and means I would not do it again (but I know, and the Lord knows, it will happen again). Instead I should recognize that weakness, express a desire to do better, and ask the Lord for help.

We started talking about priorities and what things should we really be focused on in this life. This quote was shared and I also found it very insightful.
"Let me assure you...that someday you will have a personal...interview with the Savior Himself. If you are interested, I will tell you the order in which He will ask you to account for your earthly responsibilities. First, He will request an accountability report about your relationship with your wife [or husband]. Have you been actively engaged in making her happy and ensuring that her needs have been met as an individual? Second, He will want an accountability report about each of your children individually. He will not attempt ot have this for simply a family stewardship but will request information about your relationship to each and every child. Third, He will want to know what you personally have done with the talents you were given in the pre-existence. Fourth, He will want a summary of your activity in your Church assignments. He will not be necessarily interested in what assignments you have had, for in his eyes the home teacher and a mission president are probably equals, but He will request a summary of how you have been of service to your fellowmen in your Church assignments. Fifth, He will have no interest in how you earned your living, but if you were honest in all your dealings. Sixth, He will ask for an accountability on what you have done to contribute in a positive manner to your community, state, country and the world." ~David O. McKay

How often do we get these six these backwards. We focus on being noticed in our communities. We worry about having a good job and making money (to provide for our wife and children right?), then we focus on our Church callings, our personal needs, and then finally our children and spouse. But we should remember the way the Lord prioritizes those things. Spouse first, children second, and then the other things follow suit. That quote can give you lots to think about.

Well, if you made it this far, thanks for listening! I hope this sparks some thought for you. Have a fantastic day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me start by saying I had to listen to Matthew laugh again, before I could comment. I must confess I do log on to see if there are any new pics of him. I can not wait to see him in a couple of weeks. That is some pretty good food for thought on repentance. I have never felt sincere with the daily repentance thing, and that articulates why. I also love the thought that Satan is the father of sin, but the Lord gives us weaknesses. I think we would all be much better at improving and moving forward if we would remember that. Less negative self talk and more awareness that we just are not perfect and require help. I do feel a great love of my Saviour and gratitude for his hand in my life, when I ask for help to be better. That is much better than feeling guilty that I constantly am "repenting" for the same sin (which is really just a weakness).
I have often thought about this subject with a little twist. Why do bad things happen to good people? Since we know that everything operates according to laws and we are blessed when we are obedient, it seems to follow that we are punished when we disobey. Perhaps there is a word or concept I am missing that would work like sin and weakenss. Maybe consequences and enduring. Anyway, I love to ponder on these topics, so thanks for getting me thinking. So glad you are taking advantage of all the wonderful resources you have around you.

Evans Family said...

Thanks Cris! I too, like mom, was intrigued by the whole sin vs. weakness thing. It is amazing to me how much the Lord wants to help us through our weaknesses when we are finally humble enough and recognize the need for His help. And how lucky we are that not only did our Savior atone for the sins we would commit, but understands our feelings of weakness as well. I believe He understands them better than we do ourselves. Thanks for the post!