Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Monday, October 5, 2009

Thoughts from a New Mother

People always ask me how I am doing, how is being a mom, am I doing okay (they seem to ask this one a lot, repeatedly-do I appear to not be doing okay? haha), so I decided to share my thoughts and things I've learned, etc. since being a new mom of my own little Matthew J.
* Little boys can pee-make sure their diaper is on right or else you will find yourself being used as a peeing post. (thanks to Mandi for helping me solve that problem)
* Having a baby who only likes to nap while your holding him is cute and precious for the first month but then it starts to get annoying once you have to quit ignoring life and get things done again. However, when I want to not do something it is a nice excuse to say: I had to hold my baby so he would take a nap!
* When Matthew doesn't eat well it evokes a strange feeling of rejection that can become very frustrating very quickly. Luckily I have figured a few things out. My milk comes out quite quickly which makes him choke and gag and then he gets really mad and its hard to settle him down. So, I always keep a burp rag nearby to help alleviate some of the pressure so I don't shoot like a fire hydrant (sorry if that was too much information).
* More about feeding: I stopped timing him and just let Matthew eat whenever he wants for however long he wants and he has been a much happier baby. He eats about every 2 hours, but sometimes he wants to eat more often, rarely does he go longer. Sometimes he only wants to eat for 5 minutes and sometimes he will go for 15. We just go with the flow when it comes to food.
* How to get him to go to bed earlier is still a mystery to me. Ever since he was in the womb his alert time has been during the late evening. Rarely do we get him to bed before 11:30; no matter what we try he thinks the night time is a time for smiles and play.
* Why does breastfeeding have to be such a hush hush thing? I believe more women would breastfeed if they didn't have to hide in the bathroom and go to great lengths to ensure that nobody is aware of what they are doing. Why can't women just feed their babies and have people be okay with that? Isn't that the way it was intended to be? But don't worry, I don't whip my boob out in public places. But I did nurse Matthew at Olive Garden the other day-covered of course. What else was I supposed to do? They definitely didn't have a chair in the bathroom to sit in.
* Grocery shopping with a baby is my least favorite
* Who Knew: babies could use sooo many diapers, take up sooo much time, have so much stuff, make so much laundry or make you love them sooo much?
* In conclusion: I am living my dream. I get to hold my baby while he sleeps and read a book. Life doesn't get much better than that.

8 comments:

Erin Darrington said...

Here's to motherhood! I'm living the dream too, and it's better than I imagined.
PS I laughed at you're "go with the flow" comment you "pun"ny girl you.

Evans Family said...

Good thoughts Cris. Motherhood definitely has many lessons along the way. Glad to hear you are just going with the flow and enjoying it all. Life is so much better that way...you're a great mom and you have a very cute kid. :)

Sarah said...

Do you have a sling or something like it to hold Matthew in during the day? Mine was/is a life saver. I use this one: sleepywrap.com. Payton was a terrible sleeper up until about two wks ago...Anyway, during the day the wrap totally saved my life...We also started letting him cry himself to sleep at 11 wks because he was still waking up every 1-2 hours at night.

Anyway, motherhood is wonderful! I'm so glad you're doing well...and I think that if he's hungry it's totally fine to feed him where ever you want :)

Tiffany said...

You are a saint! I can't believe that sweet boy eats every TWO hours! I wouldn't have the patience for that. Apparently that's why I pump. :)

The Griffins said...

I love your thoughts. I have had many of those myself and can really sympathize with number three on your list (the same things happened with me and our Matthew J). It really is great though isn't it! He is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Do you know how truly blessed you are to have discovered such great things on your first try? You have always been a quick learner. What a lucky boy!

Amanda Enkey said...

He's adorable. I wish I could come visit you and see your new baby. I'm very happy for you :)

Amber Baker said...

You are too cute Carissa! I am so happy everything is going good for you guys! The little guy is adorable! Miss you!