Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Keeping Christmas Real

I recently had a friend tell me that as her kids are starting to get older she feels more and more the pressure and the busyness of the holiday season. There are so many things you could do with your kids. I shared with her my philosophy on Christmas busyness. If I am enjoying all the little activities and extra things with my family then great! If I start to feel like I am doing it because I feel pressured by society and it is not bringing my family closer together, then that's when I know I need to cut something out. And that is really how I feel about the Christmas season. Some years we do a ton, some years we do very little. Some years I really get into it and other years I just scrape by.
  Something we do every year is plan a special Christmas activity for every day of December. Don't let this sound overwhelming to you-they are pretty basic and small moments, with a few biggies thrown in there. Most of them are things we would already be doing this time of year anyways we just plan it out. Sometimes we do everything on the list and sometimes only a few things get checked off the list. And we rearrange and trade days as the wind blows us. Because my life is real-holidays or not. So as you look at these nice pictures of some of the cute things we have done so far, don't be fooled. We have actually had some really hard days among all this. The baby doesn't sleep; really, he doesn't sleep. I have been waking up at least 5 times a night for the past 2 or 3 months (or 4 or 5). And I'm tired folks. And when Carissa gets tired, my temper flares up like a bear. So my kids would probably tell you we have had some rough days too.
BUT, the whole point of this, is that amidst the chaos that often makes up my life, is the holiday season. A whole month to celebrate and remember our Savior Jesus Christ. That Perfect Son who makes it possible for me to keep trying day after day to keep my temper in check and to speak more kindly and to find joy in the journey. I have a saying in my kitchen: It's Never too Late to Start the Day Over. And because of the Savior and His life that is TRUE. And so while my days are a little crazy I have welcomed the chance to step back for a moment and do a little Christmas activity with my family to remember to love, to learn, and to share this wonderful life. I am so blessed. And while it may seem that doing more at Christmas errs on the side of commercializing the holiday, for me it is helping me to remember that this really is a special time of year, separate from the rest. And for good reason. Christ is the reason for the season.
And now for some pictures of our December activities:
 This year we finally made it to the Carol of the Lights ceremony on campus. They do a light processional into the square and then the choir sings some carols and then they light up all the buildings at once. It was really fun. And even though it wasn't really that cold, we used it as a reason to get all bundled up and pretend like it was wintry outside.
 Landon was wondering why he wasn't at home asleep in his bed!


 Just because they are too cute! This was how Koyle got himself dressed one morning.

 Grammy Tami does a December 1st party in a bag each year. It is a fun tradition we always look forward to. The boys love their little advent chocolates each year.
 A little festive pizza for dinner one night!
 We made winter paintings with puffy paint at preschool one day and I got a little carried away making paint and had a ton left over. So me and the boys did our own puffy paintings; they turned out super cute! Matthew made Santa, and Koyle's snowman had "lots of buttons."
 Koyle is in love with Rudolph and has been asking for a rudolph costume. So one afternoon Matthew made him one, all by himself. It was adorable. And then he made himself a Santa beard.

 Justin made me this Christmas tree out of one of our old pallets. It turned out super cute and was really easy. I have since made burlap bows for the little presents. Nothing like a free project!
 Rudolph has provided a brief interlude in our constant Dragon make believe. Now we get to be reindeer and Santa all the time.
And these are the mint snowmen that Matthew has been begging me to make for a year now. He found the picture in my recipe book and I promised him we could make them at Christmas time. They actually turned out pretty cute and didn't take us too long.

3 comments:

Brendon said...

Such a good blog post. Thanks for sharing your philosophy. Amen!!

The picture of Koyle & Matthew in their costumes warms my heart. Looks like they had a happy day of playing together.

-Steph

Evans Family said...

That pallet Christmas tree is awesome!! I will have to have Ryan make me one. :) And, I'm curious...why was Landon wanting to be asleep in his bed when he doesn't sleep? haha

Anonymous said...

I want one of those pallet trees. Too cute!