Oct. 2017

Oct. 2017

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Dallas Getaway=SYTYCD

At the end of the So You Think You Can Dance season this year I mentioned how fun it would be to go to their tour show. And they were coming to Dallas which isn't too far away. But when we really talked about it we decided it was too expensive and not gonna happen this year (like every year). Well, a few weeks later Justin surprised me with tickets!! I was so excited. With a little help from the mom's (thanks!) he was able to make it work and it was to celebrate my birthday and our Anniversary. Also a big thanks to my friend Stephanie who watched our kids for the weekend which made the whole thing possible.
I kept making Justin take these photos of us together and he would roll his eyes every time. But hey-we never get pictures of us together!
We left Friday afternoon and got to our hotel in Arlington around dinner time. Our hotel was literally right in the center of the Texas Rangers Ballpark, the Dallas Cowboys football stadium, and 6 flags. It was a very nice room and I fell in love with the bed. Really. It might rival the performance : ) But seriously, I have been hating on our old pillows lately and our hotel room had the biggest, fluffliest, most comfy pillows a pregnant girl could dream of. And it was a King Size bed which meant plenty of room for me to get comfy however I wanted and Justin still had lots of space. So yeah, I really loved the bed. Anyways...I was of course hungry so we decided to just grab some food from one of the restaurants around the hotel. Justin felt side like sea food and I was willing to branch out. There was a seafood place that is supposed to be good but it had a 2 hour wait so we headed to Joe's Crab Shack. Neither of us had been there before so we thought we would try it out. Review: not great. I should have stuck with something I knew I would like (Salmon) but decided to try the Mahi because I really wanted the potatoes it came with. The potatoes were amazing but I didn't like the mango glaze on the fish so I couldn't eat it. Justin's crab was okay. The clam chowder we got as an appetizer was pretty good though. That night we relaxed in the hot tub at the hotel and just hung out. I think I fell asleep at 9 o'clock...I'm not much of a party animal these days.
Saturday morning we got up and got ready and headed to downtown Dallas. We started at the Farmers Market where we bought whole pecans (in the shells) to make a fresh pecan pie and the coolest plant for $5. It is an ornamental pepper plant and I think it is just beautiful in its own special way. I hope I can keep it alive for a long time. I've never really had an indoor plant so we'll see how that goes. And I'm still working out where to put it because dang preschool-I can't put it where I want to. Then we parked the car and got on the free trolley that takes you through downtown. It was awesome! The trolley was over 100 years old and so it had that real train ride quality to it and the driver was awesome too. I really wish the boys had been there to ride on the trolley with us. We walked around downtown, got lunch from a food truck, which Justin loved but I once again, couldn't eat it. We walked to the John F. Kennedy memorial and saw where he was shot. It is the 50th anniversary and so they had a guy doing a presentation with pictures and a bunch of stuff so it was kind of neat. And a little gory cause he had some serious pictures. But then we caught the trolley back to our car and headed back to the hotel. I took a nap, and then Justin took a nap while I got ready. May sound lame but it was a dream. What pregnant mother and parents of young children don't want to just sit and enjoy the silence and calm and mid-day naps that never happen during everyday life? It was fabulous. By this time I was pretty hungry since I'd yet to have a good meal I could eat. So we played it safe and went to  TGI Fridays and I got a salad. Which was still borderline tasting good to me but I was able to eat until I was full. Then we headed to the show. 
We got there early which was good because we got a good parking spot instead of having to walk a mile in the cold wind. Our seats turned out to be pretty good, although a little untraditional you might say. When they said the show was sold out, they weren't joking. They even sold the wheel chair spots : ) And we got one. So we were at the back of the section right behind the railing which meant no heads to look over or around. But Justin had to sit in a folding chair since he was in the wheel chair spot. Super funny we thought that they sold them. We weren't the only ones who were surprised to be escorted to the handicap spots, but it really was fine. Anywho-the show was awesome! I loved all the teeny boppers screaming and ooing over the dancers. I would have liked a little more new choreography but I can't complain because they are all so talented and it was a great show! Can't go wrong with great dancing. 
I was pooped by the time we got home (even though it was only 10:30) and I crashed in my awesome, soft, comfy bed.
Sunday morning we slept in, got ready, and headed out. We stopped at an IHOP along the way for brunch and made it home around 4. The boys were so excited to see us and it was great to see them too. Stephanie even went the extra mile and fed us dinner that night.
All in all it was a fabulous and much needed get away. It was the perfect combination of getting out and seeing new things and doing stuff with just recharging the batteries and having lots of down, quiet time. Thanks husband for an awesome birthday and anniversary...2 months early!

3 comments:

Shaina said...

What a wonderful getaway! I'm so glad you guys had a good time being alone together before another little baby enters the scene. One of these years Jeff and I need to try a more sophisticated, relaxing getaway like yours instead of killing ourselves mountain climbing or sea kayaking in the rain. You reminded me how good it feels to sleep in a comfy hotel room and enjoy a city. Awesome!! :)

Sarah Jones said...

Okay first, you're gorgeous in all of those pictures. Second, my mom has a pepper plant and it is her absolute favorite - so pretty. And third, you lucky girl! What an awesome vaca!!

P.s. Justin, good job buddy! I can't think of a better surprise for my adorable sister in law. You win husband of the year award - just don't tell Troy I said that! Ha!

Tami said...

Yay! So glad you had fun!! I can't wait to go tomorrow :)
--Jamie