Oct. 2017
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Reason to be grateful
Tuesday morning started just like normal and we were starting to pack our bags to head to California for Thanksgiving. As most of you know, there was a huge blizzard coming right for Utah that we were anxiously watching. Well, that afternoon our dance test got cancelled because BYU cancelled and classes and the MTC cancelled all shifts after 3:00-so we were now free to leave and beat the storm instead of waiting until Wednesday and driving on icy roads. So, in two hours we were able to pull all of our stuff together and jump in the car. We left at 2:40 and had clear roads the whole way, arriving in Los Angeles at midnight. This whirlwind of a road trip gave me cause to reflect. First I was grateful that we have accurate (somewhat) weather reports that let us know that a storm was coming so we didn't leave and then suddenly find ourselves in the middle of a dangerous snow storm. Second, I was grateful that I had a nice warm car to travel in that would keep me warm and dry regardless of the elemetns, and that would get me to California in only 10 hours. Third, as we were hauling bag after bag out to the car I was reminded of the pioneers and how they had to fit everything they owned into their wagons to cross the plains. My thoughts have often been turned towards the pioneers lately and the life that they led. My life in contrast to theirs gives me so much to be grateful for. Had I been a pioneer my weekend would have been much different. I would have either gotten caught in the storm and died, or nearly died. But that probably wouldn't have happened because going to visit family so far away wouldn't have even been an option. And pretending that I could go, heading out so quickly would have meant a lot more work. My family would have needed to be sufficiently bundled to brave the elements. I would have had to pack meals for my family since stopping at a Sonic along the way wouldn't have been an option. I am so grateful for the rich blessings that I have in my life. Those little conveniences are so easy to take for granted but whenever I am feeling frustrated with my situation I find that remembering the pioneers helps me to keep things in perspective; I live a pretty cushy life-and I am grateful for that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment